Pairpoint rifles & dog stand - object identification

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
Biju

Pairpoint rifles & dog stand - object identification

Post by Biju »

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out what this silver plate object is by the Pairpoint company. It has a small well in the middle, similar to pen/quill holders, but I'm not sure that's what it is. Maybe tobacciana? Any ideas?

TIA,
Biju

Traintime
contributor

Re: Pairpoint rifles & dog stand - object identification

Post by Traintime »

Think there might have been a glass insert?
Biju

Post by Biju »

Traintime wrote:Think there might have been a glass insert?
Can't say one way or the other. What did you have in mind?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Hunting theme is obvious (dog & double trigger/barrels). Wreaths might suggest competition/awards. So country gentleman does seem to be the target. But it feels dangerously clumsy for anything open-flame based, so perhaps a vase insert for the desk?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

So country gentleman does seem to be the target.
Right. If so, I doubt it was meant for a single flower on his desk; either pen holder or to accommodate smoking (pipe) accessories, tools.
(Cleaning tools at the time were much longer and sometimes made of silver).
Regards
Biju

Post by Biju »

Thanks Traintime and AG2012. Your responses seem logical - I was also thinking some type of pen or tobacciana stand. Would love to figure this out for sure though.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Took a tour. Pairpoint matchsafe with hunter & dog in design. Hunting dogs also show up on cigar cases/humidors. Now, Pairpoint frames often are missing glass pieces, but some bowls survive which rest at that upper ring, and some have cigar size rests molded in. So, tobacciana is looking good generally....but...see Worthpoint for Pairpoint #3303 1/2 for a trophy/vase (?) with horsehead designs given in 1896 for a "flower exhibit" at a horse show. For something closer to yours, see listing of Pairpoint #C5544 "Buck Deer Head Acorn Finial Silverplate Chain Footed Bowl Stand" missing glass but having the wreaths. It is 7 1/2" across so maybe an ashtray...not so sure about tobacco jar possibilities for this. I guess it might come down to who did the household decorating...maybe his wife thought lilacs from the garden might improve the ambient air odors?
Biju

Post by Biju »

Traintime wrote:Took a tour. Pairpoint matchsafe with hunter & dog in design. Hunting dogs also show up on cigar cases/humidors. Now, Pairpoint frames often are missing glass pieces, but some bowls survive which rest at that upper ring, and some have cigar size rests molded in. So, tobacciana is looking good generally....but...see Worthpoint for Pairpoint #3303 1/2 for a trophy/vase (?) with horsehead designs given in 1896 for a "flower exhibit" at a horse show. For something closer to yours, see listing of Pairpoint #C5544 "Buck Deer Head Acorn Finial Silverplate Chain Footed Bowl Stand" missing glass but having the wreaths. It is 7 1/2" across so maybe an ashtray...not so sure about tobacco jar possibilities for this. I guess it might come down to who did the household decorating...maybe his wife thought lilacs from the garden might improve the ambient air odors?
Thanks for all the investigative work Traintime! I'm leaning toward tobacciana myself, with probably an insert missing.

Return to “Mystery Objects”