Nassau 1899 H&E Piece - Not sure what it is

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
hpidaves

Nassau 1899 H&E Piece - Not sure what it is

Post by hpidaves »

This Holmes & Edwards Nassau (1899) piece measures 5-5/8", but I'm not sure what it is. It somewhat resembles a pea server, but seems to short.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Traintime
contributor

Re: Nassau 1899 H&E Piece - Not sure what it is

Post by Traintime »

Ahh, but was the handle altered? It appears to first sweep up like a sugar ladle would, but then it is creased down again. (If a ladle, the ridges could trap out lumps while allowing fines to pass down through the holes. A smaller spoon size version would be a sugar sifter and the shell design would not be uncommon there.) Since you can't get a catalogue for the specific pattern by this maker, perhaps a similar pattern in that era by another maker might yield a catalog page with like pieces...Sterling Flatware Fashions has posted a number of viewable pages...it's a lot of work somedays! But then again...Cheryl will probably drop in at some point and have an immediate answer to knock us all out of our socks.
hpidaves

Post by hpidaves »

The photos for this post have been dropped by the host, so I thought I would post new ones, along with a new guess as to the piece type:

Anyone think it might be a julep strainer?

I await your thoughts.

Regards,
Dave
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Site queenofsienna (no direct links rule) has a barwares entry which shows some examples of juleps in various patterns. There are some images from old catalogue pages included.

Return to “Mystery Objects”