Lots of verification marks, tankard or measuring?

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
goamules

Lots of verification marks, tankard or measuring?

Post by goamules »

Hi, Sorry to post copper here, but I'm getting stumped finding out what this "cup" or tankard really is anywhere on the internet. It could be a liquid measuring cup, or maybe a tankard? I'm American, and don't know what the marks around the rim are, but think they are "verification". Seems strange there are 15 or 20 of them, all over the rim, one after another. Can anyone help?

Thanks

oel
co-admin

Re: Lots of verification marks, tankard or measuring?

Post by oel »

Measuring cups with control marks. On a yearly base control marks were punched and only after an official checked the measuring size was correct.

Peter
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Thanks for posting this. I'm always fascinated by official marks on any metals, precious or otherwise.

Trev.
goamules

Post by goamules »

Thanks for the ID. I'm assuming it was to measure liquid, like grog or beer? Are the numbers under the 6 xx 7 the dates? Several are 04 through 10, so 1904-1910? Any idea what the crosshatched shield means?
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Yes, looking at your 1st image control marks for the years 1903-1910 with number 6 (crosshatched)7 to identify controller/control office and to me it appears after 1910; controller/control office mark KB 67 2 yearly control; 1912, 1914 up to 1918(?)
It was used in a public place for measuring out wine or spirits hence the legal inspection marks. Measuring size 1 l or 1 liter.
Pewter measuring can:

Peter.
goamules

Post by goamules »

Good to know, thanks. I'll put it in my copper collection. From Arizona in America, we see a lot!
goamules

Post by goamules »

I wanted to show you the earliest that I can read, "77" or 1877. Several others that I can't read that were buffed off, but it may go back a few years earlier. Amazingly they used/inspected this for over 30 years!

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Great piece of control work!

Peter.

Return to “Mystery Objects”