silver arrow, two for the price of one

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
Francais

silver arrow, two for the price of one

Post by Francais »

I think I know what the top item is, but I don't know what the bottom item is.
The arrow comes apart.
if they have the same use, why does the second have to be used vertically?
I think the second one is American c. 1830

JLDoggett
co-admin

Re: silver arrow, two for the price of one

Post by JLDoggett »

Nice Jabot pin. The heart seems to be stylistically much different than the pin itself. Did it come with the arrow? The holes around the outside seem like an afterthought and are very poorly done while the wiggle-worked bands and monogram show a craftsman who had some skill. The shaft piece appears to have several poorly done repairs to the fletching. Something is just not right for me to have these parts going together, just that nagging feeling.
Francais

Post by Francais »

First I should have given a measurement, the arrow is 5 5/8 inches long.
They did not come together, and except for obvious similarities they have nothing to do with each other.
You may very well be on to something about the holes being an afterthought. They were certainly punched in after the wriggle work was done. The question would be 5 minutes after or years later. I am not sure I agree about the wriggle work being done by the same hand as the monogram, I would say maybe, maybe not. The reason is that I could not engrave the monogram, but I did one time learn to do wriggle work. In my area it was primarily used to decorate Indian Trade silver. So I was making a piece of Indian Trade silver to see if I could fool some people. I thought wriggle work would be hard to do, I found exactly the opposite. My first or second attempt was quite successful. Subsequently I decided it was so common on Indian Trade silver, for exactly that reason. The silversmiths involved made hundreds of pieces at a time, and they could obviously do this type of decoration rapidly, or even pass it off to an apprentice.
I thought a jabot pin was worn horizontally, although I have no idea why I thought this. It the heart was part of a jabot pin wouldn't have to have been worn vertically with the heart at the bottom?
Maurice
Vayne

Post by Vayne »

I really love this but also don't see how they go together either. I love the craftsmanship of the heart piece a lot more, but I think that is because it looks a lot older to me and I love old things. Thanks for sharing and I hope you find some answers.
Francais

Post by Francais »

I am sorry for confusing the issue, the pieces have no relation to each other. Except perhaps that they are both the same type of thing.
you are right the lower one if very probably much older.
Maurice

Return to “Mystery Objects”