Belt buckle? Jewelry?

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
Jag
contributor

Belt buckle? Jewelry?

Post by Jag »

There are no touchmarks on this, so I assume it is silver-plate. But what explains the strange mix of fancy finished design with crude hooks and loop at the top and side? Does anyone know what this could have been used for?

JLDoggett
co-admin

Re: Belt buckle? Jewelry?

Post by JLDoggett »

Maybe a broach that broke. What does the back look like. Are there traces of former findings on it? What is the odd bit near ther outside-lower right hand corner?
Jag
contributor

Post by Jag »

Thanks very much for your reply. Here's a picture of the back. I don't see anything broken off. There's a hook in the lower right of the first picture, but I can't think of anything that would need a hook and loop at the top, and a hook on one side.

Kit

Post by Kit »

I always like a good guessing game. Does anyone see the possibility of a chatelaine here? Turn the item upside down and "pin" it to the goodwife's belt. Now the hook, with the help of gravity, can accept additional circles - each one of which leads a chain ending in a key, a scissors, -- any item which should be immediately to the hand of a good housekeeper. Now I DO hope that someone comes up with a correct answer. Kit
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Kit,

Just to say welcome back, you're been away far too long.

Regards, Trev.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Looks like half of a cloak/coat clasp to me - rotated 90 degrees to the right, the hook would be at the bottom and there should be a matching piece with a large hook for the ring, along with chain that would go on the small hook on your piece. The chain would drape if the ladies outer garment was closed tight, but if she wanted to wear it open, the chain still kept it in place; one like this would be stitched down using the small holes around the edge, some had shanks on the back or rim for stitches, while others had metal prongs to attach them.

~Cheryl
Jag
contributor

Post by Jag »

Thank you for the replies. Chatelaine - there's a new word for me! I'm guessing this would be Victorian era? Too bad if it's only half there.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

It's a pretty bad scan, but here's an 1896 illustration (lower right) of one side of a coat clasp with a long chain attached at bottom.

~Cheryl

Jag
contributor

Post by Jag »

Yes, that makes it very clear. Thank you! I wonder if they would have marked only one half, in which case this still might be worth testing to see if silver or plate In any case, I hope someone has the other half. Maybe this post will get updated in ten years when it shows up ...
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

From the pictures, appears to be worn silverplate on stamped brass.....

~Cheryl

Return to “Mystery Objects”