Apostle Spoon.

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
paulh
contributor

Apostle Spoon.

Post by paulh »

Here is an interesting piece. It is a Victorian St. Matthew apostle spoon, 7 ½” long, by Williams Brothers, Exeter 1847. I have seen pictures of a complete set of 13 of these spoons of similar origins. It is not a fake, as it is in no way pretending to be of an earlier age. It is a legitimate Victorian piece, made as a copy of an earlier spoon and hallmarked as such.

My first impression was that is was an adapted table spoon, but the gauges of the silver tend to rules this out. Does anyone know anything about these reproductions? I am curios to find out whether the finial is a casting from an original 16th/17th century piece or was is crafted in Victorian times. I cannot find any St. Matthew finials like this in any of my books. All opinions gratefully received.

Paul.

agphile
contributor

Re: Apostle Spoon.

Post by agphile »

I agree that this is probably not an adapted tablespoon, though there are plenty of adaptations around for the unwary - mostly of 18th century spoons. I am sure your finial is a Victorian model and not a casting from an original. I have never seen one like it on an early English apostle spoon. For example, the robes on early apostle spoons cover the Apostle's legs. Revealing the legs may be based on the 1592 set of Tichborne celebrities or worthies where the kings and heroes are shown like this, but not the Saviour or St Peter.
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

Hello Agphile. Well done! I hadn’t noticed the length of the robe. The reason I thought it might be a cast of an original was the bird on the nimbus. I have seen one almost identical on a 16th century Exeter piece, but this not have St. Matthew wearing a miniskirt.
agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

Yes. By the 17th century the Holy Dove/Holy Spirit nimbus was the most common. I believe it was originaly reserved for the Master, but in the course of the 16th/17th centuries it came to be used for all the apostles as well.

Return to “Mystery Objects”