Gustave Keller - An individual Teapot or Coffee Pot or What?

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
cfudge

Gustave Keller - An individual Teapot or Coffee Pot or What?

Post by cfudge »

I could not find anything by Gustave Keller that resembles this. My friend thinks its an expresso pot, but I thought its the Italians and not the French who made expresso. As you can see, the pot is raised and there is room underneath for a candle or some kind of a device to heat the contents of this little pot. Also, there are little holes in the spout which is what makes me think they were there to strain the tea leaves? The whole thing is only 5 to 6 inches tall. Any answers or even your best guess would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance for help with this unknown piece by Gustave Keller, Paris, France, 1881-1922.
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

The name escapes me at the moment... happens a lot lately... However they were usually owned by doctors and used atop a chimnied lamp (kerosine type) to heat water for a cup of tea, a medicinal concoction, or warm milk.
cfudge

We're almost there

Post by cfudge »

That is a great start. Does anyone have the proper name, now that we have this information? Thank you!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

I believe they are known as veilleuse-theiere.

Veilleuse (French) A utensil, consisting of several parts, for keeping warm the contents of a bowl, teapot or cup which rests on a hollow pedestal containing a godet (lamp). Originally made to be used at the bedside to keep food warm for a invalid or an infant, the veileuse was similarly used in the bedroom for keeping warm a beverage for one person. The name is derived from the verb veiller, to keep a night vigil. The characteristic feature is the bowl or teapot is made with a projecting bottom which fits into the pedestal, bringing the contents nearer to the warming flame of the godet. The Tea Warmer (veilleuse-theiere) is the only one known to have been reproduced in silver.

Source: An Illustrated Dictionary of Silverware--Harold Newman-1987.

Trev.

Return to “Mystery Objects”