What is it question CX

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
dognose
Site Admin

What is it question CX

Post by dognose »

This is a correct set of marks that would have been applied by Goldsmiths Hall in London on items imported into Great Britain and having a purity of 958/1000 (Britannia Standard), during the period 1904-1906.

Why would you never see an example of this set of Hallmarks?

Trev.
byron mac donald

Post by byron mac donald »

Hi Trev-

I really do not know... the import mark seems correct as well as the date mark of 1905. The .9584 is correct until the 1970's when the decimal and the 4 were dropped, so the only thing I can think of would be a problem with the sponser mark?

Byron-

But then again, even when you gave me the last answer with the "U" I could not get it. (still not sure I understand the lst answer anyway) :-(
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Byron,

No, there's no problem with the sponsor's mark, I just put it there to show where it might be placed as a complete set of marks.
The answer is much more of a practical one.

Regards Trev.
byron mac donald

Post by byron mac donald »

Second guess... no other country used the Britania standard of .9584 so it could not have been an import and would have been made in Britain.

Byron
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Byron,

You win the cigar this time!

During the period that these marks would have been in force, 24th October 1904 until they were revoked in 11th May 1906, Goldsmiths Hall in London did not receive a single submission for hallmarking 958/1000 Brittania Standard items imported into Great Brittain.

Regards Trev.

Return to “Mystery Objects”