Re: What type of fork is this? Anyone know?

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
AGHEAD
contributor

Post by AGHEAD »

I just picked up a set of 12 of these forks, impulse buy based on the fact that I have never seen anything similar. I know the pattern, its Tiffany wave edge. Thanks for your help.

Truls J Tonsberg

Post by Truls J Tonsberg »

sardine fork or fish fork.
AGHEAD
contributor

Post by AGHEAD »

Thanks for the input. But these forks (set of 12) look nothing like known fish, oyster, or sardine forks in this pattern. I thought of that early on based on the scale pattern between the tines and stem. There is a lot surface area between roots of the fork and the neck of the stem or handle. The opposite of a sardine fork, and not really something you see with a fish fork.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

The spread fork tines, perhaps a type of cake or pie fork.

From catalog year 1932 Gerritsen and van Kempen

Source; Blog zilver.nl
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

:::: There is a lemon fork made by Reed & Barton in the Burgundy pattern that is 4-3/4 inches long but it is pierced with non-splayed tines. ::::
:::: But also there is another variation in the same pattern that is much thinner and not pierced and has splayed tines. :::::
:::: It's almost as if Tiffany combined thiese 2 forms into one single form. ::::
:::: Could this actually be a lemon fork? :::::
AGHEAD
contributor

Post by AGHEAD »

First, I want to thank everyone who has weighed in, the mystery remains unsolved. The wave edge pattern is one of Tiffany's more popular patterns (not mine), and has been around since 1884. Whereas the Burgundy pattern is from the 1940s. I would also dismiss this item as being a lemon fork based on size, all known Tiffany lemon forks look nothing like these forks, and a lemon fork is more of a serving piece. Folks would not order 12 lemon forks that are nearly 7 inches long (or maybe they would, someone bought 12 of these...I just don't think they had plans to gorge themselves on lemons). These must be some sort of variant of a fish fork that is not described in the books. I'll continue to look. Thanks to everyone who has tried to help me.

Return to “Mystery Objects”