Interesting Russian object

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
martako

Interesting Russian object

Post by martako »

Hello all,

I have this very interesting silver object with Russian hallmarks. I am guessing it is some type of a stand for a writing set, perhaps for fountain pens? I am attaching the photo of the object, unfortunately I do not have a decent photo of the hallmarks now which is located on the side/rim of the stand. It has an assayer's mark dated to 1873 and belongs to Ivan Vonifatiyevich Yevstigneyev. The maker's mark has unrecognizable initials (looks like I E but not sure). It also has the standard 84 mark and the Moscow city mark. I believe the marks are genuine, but I do not recognize the form of the object. If anyone is familiar with it, I would appreciate your comments. I will try to upload the hallmarks once I can.

best

martako

Re: Interesting Russian object

Post by martako »

Here it is. Any opinion is appreciated.

Thanks
martako wrote:Hello all,

I have this very interesting silver object with Russian hallmarks. I am guessing it is some type of a stand for a writing set, perhaps for fountain pens? I am attaching the photo of the object, unfortunately I do not have a decent photo of the hallmarks now which is located on the side/rim of the stand. It has an assayer's mark dated to 1873 and belongs to Ivan Vonifatiyevich Yevstigneyev. The maker's mark has unrecognizable initials (looks like I E but not sure). It also has the standard 84 mark and the Moscow city mark. I believe the marks are genuine, but I do not recognize the form of the object. If anyone is familiar with it, I would appreciate your comments. I will try to upload the hallmarks once I can.

best

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Now we are getting somewhere. The maker's mark is to the left but unfortunately I cannot decipher it, What two (?) letters do you see?
The other mark shows the assayer, who is Ivan Yestigneyev 1870-1891 in St. Petersburg. Unfortunately I don't know what the object is.
martako

Post by martako »

Thanks for the reply. I vaguely see an E and an I but they could very well be some sort of a symbol/logo of the maker.

I still have not fully figured what this interesting piece was made for. Looking forward to further comments.
Qrt.S wrote:Now we are getting somewhere. The maker's mark is to the left but unfortunately I cannot decipher it, What two (?) letters do you see?
The other mark shows the assayer, who is Ivan Yestigneyev 1870-1891 in St. Petersburg. Unfortunately I don't know what the object is.
cww1960

Post by cww1960 »

Could this be a pipe rack?
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

For some reason I can picture it with cigars in each holder, matches in each cup on the ends.

Return to “Mystery Objects”