White & Hawkins Birmingham Pls Help ID Pattern frm 1922 Wedding Gift

If you know the maker, but not the pattern. - PHOTO REQUIRED
Been2theMountaintop

White & Hawkins Birmingham Pls Help ID Pattern frm 1922 Wedding Gift

Post by Been2theMountaintop »

Any help you can offer identifying pattern would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to rednose and everyone else who did all the wonderful work on this site.

This set is in a quartersawn oak (?) box with the dedication from coworkers to my paternal grandparents (from Liverpool) on a brass (?) plaque glued on top. There's a built-in bottom layer and a lift-out-tray top layer. Inside top cover is cloth filled with horsehair. I don't know how to tell if it is German (NO) silver, sterling silver, or silverplate. So if it does not belong here, I apologize.

There's a "curl" at the bottom of each piece. Some types of pieces have the pattern on the front and some on the back.

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: White & Hawkins Birmingham Pls Help ID Pattern frm 1922 Wedding Gift

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

This pattern is normally known as Old English here in the UK. The manufacturer is actually Walker & Hall Ltd of Sheffield. The material is electroplate on a base metal, probably nickel silver. The A1 mark is the manufacturer's estimation of plating quality (thickness).

In addition Walker & Hall were unusual among electroplaters in including a date code in their marks and the letter "c" is their date code for (I believe) 1921 which fits very nicely with your history of the set.

Phil
Been2theMountaintop

Re: White & Hawkins Birmingham Pls Help ID Pattern frm 1922 Wedding Gift

Post by Been2theMountaintop »

Hey Phil
Talk about FAST and Helpful! You folks are the best.

Return to “Flatware Pattern Identification”