Viking Basket Needs Help

Questions on polishing, restoration, conservation + manufacturing techniques
MSKAY12700

Viking Basket Needs Help

Post by MSKAY12700 »

From what I've learned here, this piece is probably silverplate with a lacquer on it. The makers mark is Viking (helmet)V27, and I don't even know what to call it.
It wasn't used this past year and is now all discolored.
I'm new at this and need your help in how to clean this. Silver polish ? I've seen posts about boiling water and detergent.
I don't want to ruin it. (The person who gave it to me thought it was the ugliest thing she'd ever seen, but I like it !)

Thank you for your help.
oel
co-admin

Re: Viking Basket Needs Help

Post by oel »

I do not believe it to be lacquered and I should start with a little silver polish. First have it washed with warm water and some dishwasher detergent and do the same after finish polishing. I think originally the basket had a insert (cobalt blue) glass liner.
Good luck and let me know the result.

Peter.
MSKAY12700

Post by MSKAY12700 »

Thank you for the advice. This will be my project for the week. (Newly retired with lots of time !)
I believe you're right about the cobalt liner from photos I've seen. I use a clear cut glass bowl in it for now but will keep an eye out for cobalt.
MSKAY12700

Post by MSKAY12700 »

I think this has some kind of black pigment on it. Started with warm water and dishwasher, then silver polish and then Tarnx. It's going to take some time but I'll keep working on it

Still have not found the pattern name but am not giving up !
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Looks great, I like the contrast, do not over polish.

Best,

Peter

Return to “Silver Care / Techniques”