A skewer with no marks.

Questions on polishing, restoration, conservation + manufacturing techniques
Granmaa
co-admin

A skewer with no marks.

Post by Granmaa »

Here is 20cm silver skewer, but there are no visible marks.
I think this design was used around 1800. I'm hoping that someone might be able to tell me more from the design such as accurate age and location.
Also, I'm going to try to repair the loop, and any advice will be appreciated.

Miles

SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

Can't help with the date, but I do have some advice on the loop repair. I am not familiar with skewers (out of my price range!), but I imagine they are the same as other flatware. This being the case, the metal in the loop has been work hardened in its fashioning (hammering), and is somewhat brittle (annealed sterling is way too soft to serve in flatware). Trying to force it back into proper shape as it is now could well result in cracking. It should likely be heated to partially anneal it and lessen the amount of work hardening. There's the rub, how high and how long to heat it to soften it, such that when it is forced back into proper shape, it is re-work hardened back to near original condition. The risk here is too much heating resulting in dead soft sterling after the reshape. I fear only an experienced silver worker can properly guage this process. It appears from the photo that there is already a starting crack. If you feel you need to forge ahead, I'd advise heating it good to preclude further cracking, and living with the softened silver afterwards (it is likely never to suffer any real use/abuse again similar to when it was new). But my advice is, if it does not rate professional repair in terms of cost versus resultant value, just leave it as it is. JMO.

SS
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Thankyou SS, I will try myself. What you thought was a crack is only a dent, but I will be careful nonetheless. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Miles
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Here is the result.
I heated it slightly and slid it down the handle of a wooden spoon (no the spoon did not catch fire); it of course stopped where the handle broadens as it meets the bowl. I then slid a mechanics socket down the handle of the spoon to rest on top of the loop and hit this with a hammer so as not to scratch the skewer. A light polish and that was it; not perfect but better.

Miles

davesays

Re: A skewer with no marks.

Post by davesays »

Hallo! From the excellent photo posted it looks if the skewer may be close plated. (Silver on steel) As there was no need to temper or harden the handle many of these examples show misshaped terminals. A date of c 1810 may be suggested although the style is long lived alongside sterling examples. Run a magnet over it and let us know! Wood is excellent for this procedure, the harder the better. davesays
davesays

Post by davesays »

Further to the last post it may be that the distinct grey apperance to the ring terminal is not a steel core but a shadow! Other comments stand with the addition that if it is silver the ring may require annealing the next time. davesays
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

Very nice repair, and creative in technique. Dating them is difficult without some mark. I have made them but always put my mark on. One thing when used in an oven the ends always harden from the long, slow heating of the metal.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

It's always nice to revisit one of my first posts. I like to see how much I've learnt, and much of the credit for that has to go to this forum.

The skewer is definitely solid silver, and it is now happily homed in my canteen.

Miles

Return to “Silver Care / Techniques”