How to remove small scratches?

Questions on polishing, restoration, conservation + manufacturing techniques
Dael69

How to remove small scratches?

Post by Dael69 »

I have tested some cleaning techniques but I am unable to remove the small scratches, even if I use strong abrasive compounds with cotton cloths, they dont fade or disappear. It is possible to take them out in home or I should leave this small scratches to a pro?

See the scratches (lines) I am concerned of can be seen here:

I would really appreciate any good advice.

Dael.
JLDoggett
co-admin

Re: How to remove small scratches?

Post by JLDoggett »

Those appear polishing marks from someone who used a polish with too large a grit. a rouge cloth will usually remove them, just take time and be careful.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

To remove the scratches completely you will also have to remove the same depth of silver which doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I would leave the scratches to be removed gradually each time you polish - and as a warning about using an over-abrasive polish (maybe the scratches were caused by that chalk slurry concoction you mentioned in another post?).

Phil
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Deep scratches, simple answer, no.
Polish or remove minor scratches with Jewelers Rouge Powder (paste). It has very little cutting action and cannot harm being used on 18K gold which is much softer metal. Jewelry Cleaning Cloth treated with Red Polishing Rouge is also helpful. Remember that one minute action of buffing and polishing wheels is equivalent to days of hand polishing. Just be patient and apply circular movements. In short, search for Jewelers Rouge.
Kindest regards
Dael69

Post by Dael69 »

Thank you guys,

I wont be removing lot of silver for the small scratches so I would better make it shiny and be more careful.

Best regards.
Dael

Return to “Silver Care / Techniques”