Navajo Spoon design

Navajo, Zuni & Hopi
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
bomar97

Navajo Spoon design

Post by bomar97 »

I have a Navajo spoon but can not find info I am looking for. I've been told it was possibly Warren Mansfield which in any photos I've seen of those, the design is not done the same. I'm told it is low grade silver, but I don't know how to safely test it. It is actual notching all the way up the right side to the top of the headdress.

There are no markings I can find.

I'm hoping someone can tell me what the design signifies in the bowl of the spoon. If anyone can offer any other info, anything would be appreciated. Thank you.

Aguest
contributor

Re: Navajo Spoon design

Post by Aguest »

Although it is true that your spoon's "Sun Rays" symbol signifies "Constancy" and your diamond-shapes signify the Medicine Man's Eye, which signifies Wisdom and Watchfulness, really your spoon was made for the tourist trade, so the symbols really were just meant to attract attention from potential buyers.

Your spoon should be "coin silver" grade, which means the silver was extracted from melted-down coins of 90% fineness. The earliest of these spoons have "Ingot Stamp Marks" or "Ingot Folding Marks" where a piece of silver has been turned over and over again, and fashioned into a spoon by hand. You might see these marks on the back of your spoon, and they look like little crease-marks, not sure how to accurately describe these very distinctive lines.

You could just Google "Fred Harvey Era Spoon" and you might learn some additional information. Fred Harvey was one of the first traders to make contact with the Navajo silversmiths, and he opened up many doors for artists, and established trading posts, etc. I think your spoon could be described as a "Fred Harvey Era" spoon, and it was sold to Tourists who wanted to buy silver from the Navajo artists.

I am not sure how to identify the maker, but the design is quite distinctive, and it is unusual to see the figural form, and the notches, and the handle is of an unusual design as well. Interesting Spoon.
bomar97

Re: Navajo Spoon design

Post by bomar97 »

Thank you. I have seen the Sun Rays in other spoons but have never seen the Medicine Man's Eye.

Yes, the handle is upturned a little at the top. I have seen the tri shaped handle in my searches but have never been able to find any with the same or similar bowl design.

I will see if I can find more specifics searching Fred Harvey.

Return to “Native American Silver”