Help with silver bracelet

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
belaryder

Help with silver bracelet

Post by belaryder »

My Great Aunt left me this bracelet,. It has 900, the letter J and a hallmark of a camel (?) horse (?) can't tell which. I would like to know if anyone can tell me where this piece came from and approx. what date it would have been made. She lived in both Scotland and England, so I am assuming it came from one of those two places.
ImageImage
byron mac donald

Post by byron mac donald »

Hello belaryde-

Looks like a Peruvian Llama, doubt its English or Scottish.

Regards- Byron
belaryder

bracelet-peru?

Post by belaryder »

Byron,
Peru? She did travel all over. 900 and J: are those for sterling silver and year respectively? The J is capitalized (couldn't get a good photo, but it has a J stamped on both ends of the bracelet. I'm trying to figure out who might have made it and the approximate date when made. Is it possible it could be oriental, she lived in China for a good many years.

Thank you for the help
byron mac donald

Post by byron mac donald »

Hi-

I really dont know how they marked thier items, just know that they used the Llama, which makes sense. The .900 is the purity mark of 900/1000 just shy of sterling, called coin silver here in the U.S. see:

http://www.925-1000.com/silverglossary2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The "J" is probably the makers mark, I do not believe that they use date lettering. Hopefully someone else here will be able to help you further.

Best wishes- Byron

Return to “Central & South America”