HUGE 925 Candelabra From Peru -Gargoyles?

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Tipton444

HUGE 925 Candelabra From Peru -Gargoyles?

Post by Tipton444 »

I'm always looking for silver in new places, and I came across this beautiful candelabra at a yard sale. It was mixed with some silverplated bowls and trays, and at first I thought it was plate as well until I saw the bottom. It's actually in fantastic condition, with no real dents or scratches that I can see...the tarnish just covers its beauty. The base seems to be weighted, but I'm not 100% sure. The rest of it is definitely hollow, without added weight, and it is quite heavy, it went over my small scale amount. It's 14"inches high! I'm not used to seeing such a large piece. Can anyone help me with a little more information?

1. Anyone seen this hallmark of a C in a star? (Or is it G?)
2. What age or era do you think this belongs to? Are they gargoyles at the top, does that indicate more of a edwardian period?
3. I think it will look much better if I polished it up, what do you think? What is the easiest method? I have some cream, but are there antique/jewelry stores that will usually do this for you at a decent price? I'm sure there's a lot of pieces that it's better to leave the tarnish, but is this one of them?

Traintime
contributor

Re: HUGE 925 Candelabra From Peru -Gargoyles?

Post by Traintime »

For Peruvian G-in-star mark, search reference under San Agustin for Trev's entry. There is also an RI# used.

Return to “Central & South America”