Baltic Fish Slice, DF

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Granmaa
co-admin

Baltic Fish Slice, DF

Post by Granmaa »

I wonder if anyone can help me with the marks on this c.1860 fish slice. Marked DF and XI or IX.

Miles

Image Image
silverport
contributor

Re: Baltic Fish Slice, DF

Post by silverport »

Hello Miles

As you know, in »925-1000« are experts of North European items, made e.g. from silver, and their marks too.

But no one of these, witch well have a much sounded knowledge of that area, have reacted.

I assume that it would be very helpful, if you would explain in detail the reason of yours opinion, why that is a »Baltic Fish Slice«.

I'm curious on that result too.

Thank you!

Kind regards silverport
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Hello silverport,

Baltic was just a hunch based on the design of the piece.
The only other possible clue I have is the similarity between the XI mark and a similar mark in the Swiss section of Tardy's, p.389.

Miles
silverport
contributor

Post by silverport »

Hello

I’m well astonished yet!

There fore in brief only:

»XI« = »Onze Dinheiro« (Brazilian Portuguese, Portuguese) = .916-1,000
»DF« = »Distrito Federal do Brasil« (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil).
(That wasn't my source: »Tardy« 9th edition, page 88)
Time span of production: ca. 1850 until about 1889.

Map of Brazilian administrative division as of 1889.

Source: http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... 0124142402" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind regards silverport
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Maybe we should make it clear what is what in Northern Europe. I shall try to make it short.
Lets start with the Baltic countries.
There are three of them i.e. Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. Those countries ceased to exist as from 1795 being a part of the Russian Empire to the year 1920 when they became independent. From 1795 to 1920 the Russian marking system was used. In 1920 the became independent and it lasted to about 1940. What happen after that we all know. During those 20 years of independence they implemented their own hallmarks, a lion for Estonia, Milda for Latvia and Knight Vytis for Lithuania or actually Vilnius.

Then we have the Nordic countries. They are Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Iceland.
Sweden's hallmark is three crowns, Finland's one crown. Norway and Denmark are more difficult but they usually have a town mark. In addition all countries also carry maker's marks and year marks as well as fineness marks. Iceland we can forget in this connection.

What's left are the Scandinavian countries. Those are Sweden, Denmark and Norway. Scandinavia is only a part of the Nordic countries.

Now back to what I would call a "fish server". There is nothing in its marks indicating it to be made in any of the above mentioned countries. This is most obviously the reason why the "Nordic experts" stay silent, sorry.

Return to “Central & South America”