Gorham coin silver (?) cup/chalice

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AllSeasons

Gorham coin silver (?) cup/chalice

Post by AllSeasons »

I recently purchased this Gorham coin silver (?) cup/chalice that I just couldn't pass up. My understanding is that Gorham used this set of marks only on sterling or coin silver. Based on some research, I also found that Gorham made the switch from coin silver to sterling in 1868. Given the 1868 inscription, that likely makes this cup/chalice one of the last coin silver items made by Gorham before the switch to sterling.

My other question is around the inscription, which is in German. It roughly translates to: G. Blume, in remembrance of the 19th of March, 1868 from his friends. I've never seen a German inscription on an American item before, so this is very interesting. I can only assume that this cup/chalice was purchased and gifted by Germans who immigrated to the US during that time period. Or less likely, in my opinion, is the possibility that this was exported to Germany by Gorham, and then somehow made its way back to the US.

I guess a few questions:
  • Is this coin silver?
  • Was it made around 1868? I know that's what the inscription says, but it could've been purchased before then and the inscription added later.
  • Is there a name for this pattern?
  • Any insight into the German inscription?
As always, thank you in advance. The images are below:

wev
contributor

Re: Gorham coin silver (?) cup/chalice

Post by wev »

There were many German-American societies during most of the 19th century. These sorts of commemorative pieces are not uncommon, though many more were probably disposed of when affiliation with Germany became unpopular.

The mark shown was adopted in 1863. Gorham did not switch to only using sterling in 1868. Goods continued to be made (and appropriately priced) in both purities for at least 30 years.

There is no actual pattern name. The basic number 16 cup was engraved in all sorts of styles and left plain, as well. The celebratory inscription could be for anything.
AllSeasons

Re: Gorham coin silver (?) cup/chalice

Post by AllSeasons »

Perfect, thank you! Just waiting for it to come in the mail now.

Cheers!

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”