Caleb Beal picture-back teaspoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
syarn01

Caleb Beal picture-back teaspoon

Post by syarn01 »

Wanted to share my research on this teaspoon I bought recently and see if others have additional information to share about Beal or this particular spoon, or corrections to what I think I know about it.
I believe it to be a Caleb Beal (Boston, 1746-1801) 5.5" picture-back coin silver spoon. Maybe 0.900 fineness? It has an engraving of MH (that's what it looks like to me) and etching of stylized flower and leaves, with mark of CB on the back of the handle. The foliated scroll on the reverse of the bowl was featured mainly in Boston spoons.
Beal was born in Hingham, Massachusetts and began his apprenticeship in Boston around 1760 (possibly under Benjamin Loring). He's is typically listed historically as a goldsmith, silversmith, and jeweler, and he must have been fairly successful as his name appears often in deed records and upon his death, his estate was valued at just over $1,500 and included luxury goods such as looking glasses. I also saw on one site that less than 40 pieces of Beal's silver are currently known, the majority of which are spoons; not sure whether that's accurate or how it would have been determined.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”