Bird-Backed Spoon, marked AA

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
OldSchool
contributor

Bird-Backed Spoon, marked AA

Post by OldSchool »

American coin silver is something I rarely encounter, so would appreciate any advice on this example of what I assume is a fairly early bird-backed spoon. The spoon has been well loved, and the bird is somewhat worn, but still visible. The silversmith's mark is simply "AA", which I have tentatively thought might be Allen Armstrong, Philadelphia, but am happy to be proven wrong.

The spoon has been in the same family (not mine!) for many generations, with the tradition that it is handed down from mother to eldest daughter. This has resulted in three inscriptions; IMW and FNW to the topside of the handle, and "Tenny" (the diminutive of Hortensia, I'm told) on the back. This latter was added towards the end of the 19th century.

Can anyone suggest an alternative silversmith if they think Allen Armstrong is incorrect?
wev
contributor

Re: Bird-Backed Spoon, marked AA

Post by wev »

There are no AA appropriate names listed in Fennimore's Flights of Fancy nor an AA in the unknown section. Armstrong did retail bird-back spoons, but those known are marked with his surname in caps and countermarked IWG by the wholesale maker, John W. Gethen. I know of no attributed AA mark.
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

The script name is actually Jenny
OldSchool
contributor

Post by OldSchool »

wev wrote:The script name is actually Jenny
I thought so too, but the owner insists it belonged to her great grandmother, and she was known as "Tenny". The descender does come from the right-hand end of the arm, which would be consistent with a "T".
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Jenny or Tenny?

Just out of curiosity what do you mean by; The descender does come from the right-hand end of the arm, which would be consistent with a "T"., I ain't got a glue what you mean by this.

Regards,

Peter.
OldSchool
contributor

Post by OldSchool »

oel wrote:Just out of curiosity what do you mean by; The descender does come from the right-hand end of the arm, which would be consistent with a "T"., I ain't got a glue what you mean by this.
Regards,
Peter.
I'm sorry Peter - only just seen this. I've been away, free of the Internet for a few days.

In the first letter, created in an italic hand-written script, the line that comes down from the top 'arm' of the letter starts to descend from the far right-hand end of that arm, in a continuous line connected by a small loop. This is consistent with a letter "T". The easiest way is to use an illustration. The two words below are Jenny and Tenny, in an italic hand-written font. The "Tenny" is very similar to the one on the spoon.

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Thanks for the clarification. All clear.

Peter.
silverly

Post by silverly »

The handwriting example given is convincing on its own, but from my experience the only way to differentiate some 18th and 19th century letters is to have more words that allow comparisons. I accept that in this instance the name is Jenny. The family probably looked at the handwriting for a particular period and saw the name looked like Tenny, so that’s what it became.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”