Sutton, American silversmith?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mdhavey

Sutton, American silversmith?

Post by mdhavey »

Here is a nice 8" long serving spoon, I'm assuming its Coin. Anybody have anything on Sutton? There may be an initial or graphic before the name Sutton, but it's pretty well rubbed.

Traintime
contributor

Re: Sutton, American silversmith?

Post by Traintime »

Thorn listed Robert Sutton New Haven 1815 but had no sample marks for him back then. Now we do, for initials. But look at the watchpaper sample where his name is spelled out. Some of these guys have maker and retailer marks, as well as changes of each over time. So, this is not conclusive: https://www.americansilversmiths.org/ma ... 165077.htm
mdhavey

Post by mdhavey »

So Robert Sutton from New Haven is about the only Sutton who worked in silver that has turned up. I don't have a copy of "Marks of American Silversmiths in the Ineson-Bissell Collection", I wonder if anyone reading this has one? That's usually the most comprehensive listing of hallmarks.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

mdhavey wrote:So Robert Sutton from New Haven is about the only Sutton who worked in silver that has turned up. I don't have a copy of "Marks of American Silversmiths in the Ineson-Bissell Collection", I wonder if anyone reading this has one? That's usually the most comprehensive listing of hallmarks.

Most of my books are packed away, but Belden's 'Marks of American Silversmiths in the Ineson-Bissell Collection' was handy - no 'Sutton'...

~Cheryl

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”