Boston Coin with the makers mark defaced

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Thobbs

Boston Coin with the makers mark defaced

Post by Thobbs »

This is my first post here. Thank you for the forum and the information that is here. I have this bowl that is marked Boston Coin and the makers mark has been defaced. Parts of the mark are legible parts are not. I need some suggestion on who might have made this and why would the mark be defaced. Thank you for your help.
Regards,
Tim

Here is a link to the photos.

https://imgur.com/a/qOVePMK
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Boston Coin with the makers mark defaced

Post by dognose »

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please embed your images.

Trev.
Thobbs

Post by Thobbs »

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
This is almost perfect match, having in mind the overall appearance of the mark and particularly identical coin word in Gothic font.
I think it dates before 1868, the year when the firm was disbanded and former partner Charles M. Foss entered another partnership.
Old stock was not destroyed (that would not make sense, would it ?) and silver entered the market with obliterated name.
That`s the only logical explanation I can see.

Erasing was done professionally. Now you can try to identify every letter; it`s easier when you know what to search for.

Regards

Thobbs

Post by Thobbs »

Great! I can see it now thank you for the help and quick reply!
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I've seen such obliteration once on a very fancy Gorham server :::: I assume the Gotham server was sold to a retailer and then that retailer hallmark was cancelled and the Gotham server was either sent back to the company or sent to another retailer. :::: I also have noted obliteration on a coin silver fork :::: These are the only 2 examples of obliteration I can recall, so it seems to be a very uncommon practice in my opinion at least. :::

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”