Unknown mark "W.W"

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
samtron76df

Unknown mark "W.W"

Post by samtron76df »

Have a colonial era spoon - possibly circa 1770's, double punched with mark of W.W that is separated by a design element. Has a shell back bowl and is approx. 8" long. Can not find this mark and would appreciate learning who it is if anyone knows...

Aguest
contributor

Re: Unknown mark "W.W"

Post by Aguest »

The Chinese Export Silversmiths could replicate the forms of earlier objects, I have a Scent Box/Viniagarette by CUTSHING and in my research I learned that they made precise copies of 18th century silver while actually working in the 19th century. :::: It's possible that the Colonial Indian Silversmiths were doing the same thing, I believe they were. ::::
silverly

Post by silverly »

Just for future reference, a better look at the shell might be useful.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

There's a "William Augustus Woolaston" listed in Calcutta India working in the 1820s. :::: The makers mark is a "WW" but the picture shows additional pseudo hallmarks which your spoon lacks. :::
samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

Here is a pic of the shell. It is somewhat unique. There was a William Ward who worked in CT around this time and while his documented WW mark is different, his other mark has a very similar font style for the W along with pellet location. https://www.americansilversmiths.org/ma ... s/5788.htm

samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

There is also a William Whittemore who worked up until 1775 in Kittery Maine. His mark in Flynt & Fales is very, very close to the one on this spoon.

https://www.americansilversmiths.org/ma ... /38717.htm
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

The flower motifs of William Whittemore are very interesting, still I cannot find his [W.W] hallmark, but I am impressed with all the floral designs that he used, it is an interesting style. :::
samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

Here is the mark in Flynt & Fales...

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I think you've found it. ::: That flower hallmark is just so unusual it confused me. ::: The silversmith would have had to make a specific punch tool with that flower design, I really didn't know what to think when I first saw that flower in-between the hallmarks. ::::

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”