Unmarked Coin Silver Master Salt Spoon?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
hpidaves

Unmarked Coin Silver Master Salt Spoon?

Post by hpidaves »

This 3-3/4" coin silver piece is unmarked and I'm not positive what it is. Any thoughts as to piece type and/or maker?

Thanks,
Dave

hpidaves

Re: Unmarked Coin Silver Master Salt Spoon?

Post by hpidaves »

A bon bon spoon perhaps?
silverly

Post by silverly »

Master salt maybe. The style makes me think midwestern, but there's no guarantee of that. Sorry for being to imprecise about it all.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

1-How did you arrive at the conclusion of coin base? Much plate is highly deceptive.
2-Why does there appear to be an "A" shape (surrounded in upper left and right areas) below the paddle on the rear? Is it really there?
3-If "A" not an illusion....Addie Bros. plate?
hpidaves

Post by hpidaves »

Upon close inspection, it may be plated -- slight plate wear is showing on underside at the handle resting spot. I did, however, look it over completely again with a magnifying glass, as well as a microscope under 10x and 30x power, I did not find any maker's mark.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Silverly is right in that this style was predominantly used in the midwest (Ohio, Western Pennsylvania, Etc) around the second quarter of the 19th century but didn't exist there solely. It probably is coin silver rather than silver plate. If you can see wear on the back of the handle then there should be lots of wear on the bowl as well, as the salt (this is almost definitely a master salt spoon) would have worn away the bowl first. Also is the piece springy or flimsy? That is also usually a sign of it being solid coin silver. Plated pieces are usually more rigid. Also when pieces were silver-plated around the period your piece was made, the base metal was usually brass or a noticeably greyer metal than the silver. These are my thoughts on the piece anyway. I come across many many US coin silver spoons in my line of work
hpidaves

Post by hpidaves »

It is a bit springy.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”