John Kinzie mark on Soup Ladle?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
bstaunto
contributor

John Kinzie mark on Soup Ladle?

Post by bstaunto »

Hi team,

I just purchased this ladle...from the blurry marks available in his book (and a couple online), I think it is stamped for John Kinzie. Seems he was active in Detroit from the 1780s. I would love to hear from our American Coin silver experts if the engraving and design of the ladle matches with that? Especially where the bowl and stem meet.

I can't seem to find any other examples of non-fur trade silver with his mark. Does anyone know of any?

As always, love to hear your opinion!

Cheers, Ben

silverly

Re: John Kinzie mark on Soup Ladle?

Post by silverly »

Nothing definitive here, but maybe of interest, if you haven't already come across it, is this snippet excerpted from the 1936 Papers of the Michigan Academy of Science, Arts and Letters. John Kinzie's mark, consisting of the script letters 'JK' in an oblong cartouche, is stamped upon a large double-barred cross from Emmet County. Kinzie, who received his training as a silversmith in Montreal, was working in the Michigan ...

I lean towards your spoon being a John Kinzie piece, but as you already know more information is needed to be certain.
bstaunto
contributor

Re: John Kinzie mark on Soup Ladle?

Post by bstaunto »

Thanks silverly, another lead to chase up! Below is a series other other photos attributed too.

Source: http://rd.uqam.ca/Kinzie/index.html

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”