["S AND B" {in Shield} COIN]-Tablespoons

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Traintime
contributor

["S AND B" {in Shield} COIN]-Tablespoons

Post by Traintime »

Never seen "AND" like this...possibly a retailer?

Traintime
contributor

Re: ["S AND B" {in Shield} COIN]-Tablespoons

Post by Traintime »

Looking at the use of a Union shield, could it be a "P AND R" fancy variant for Pratt & Reath of Philly? Their ads used a shield.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

What little I found on Pratt & Reath was that they took over (succeeded) an existing firm about 1851. They imported watches and handled "plated" wares. At some point they appear in a list of dealers in a domestic watch line. I know nothing about silver flatware nor hollowares for them, but a rectangular name mark has been noted on something. They apparently close shop in about 1861, the era of civil war.
silverly

Post by silverly »

The first letter is a round hand "S." It is not a common ampersand to me either, but I think I have seen it in the past. Sorry, I can't help with the maker or retailer.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Item record: Matched pair, no personalisations. Tipt end topside. Overall length 8". Bowl length 2 3/4". Bowl Width 1 3/4" extreme. Thickness 1/8" mid-handle, narrowing outward to 1/16" and less.

I generally agree on the expectations of an "S" form, but have seen it also used as a "P" in the deep past...those people just love to drive us crazy.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”