Coin Silver Gravy Ladle - Star/Lion/D Hallmarks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
porklion

Coin Silver Gravy Ladle - Star/Lion/D Hallmarks

Post by porklion »

We are looking for information on the manufacturer of this ladle. It is approximately 7 1/2" long and has a partially twisted handle. It is marked with three hallmarks in octagonal "frames", consisting of a five-pointed star, a walking lion (?) with raised tail and the letter D. The ladle was found at an estate auction in the Hudson Valley.
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

One of the numerous and anonymous New York state wholesale manufacturers. A few people claimed to have figured out which is who, but it's all just guesswork and I don't believe them.
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Rainwaters 4th edition attributes your mark to John L. Westervelt of Newburgh, New York. In 1854 he opened his silver manufacturing business and continued to manufacture silverware until his retirement in 1904. He did have a retail business also.
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

Indeed and another excellent reason not to believe everything you read.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Wev,
McGrew also attributes this mark to Westerveldt and cites Soeffing and Belden as the sources. Don't know what hard evidence any of them has and think it likely that some conjecture is involved, but I'm curious as to your reasons for complete dismissal.

Regards, Tom
hpidaves

Re: Coin Silver Gravy Ladle - Star/Lion/D Hallmarks

Post by hpidaves »

I'm not sure if this sheds anymore light on the subject, but I have a coin silver large serving spoon (8-3/4") with the same marks -- Star, lion, "D". It has a retailer mark of "JACKSON & MANY" -- New York, NY 1849-1856, Succeeded by Many & Lewis.

SalvageQueen

Re: Coin Silver Gravy Ladle - Star/Lion/D Hallmarks

Post by SalvageQueen »

Saw this post about a star, lion, D mark. I have some G.W. Halliwell coin silver spoons that carry the same mark.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”