Hallmark Help

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
roblaux

Hallmark Help

Post by roblaux »

I found this spoon yesterday and have tried to find the maker at several of the internet web sites. I have not found anything and wondered if anyone could give me any information on it like it's age and maker. It is monogrammed with the initials MG on the front. The hallmark is on the back of the handle just about where the monogram is. Thanks!

Rob
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Rob,

I haven't been able to find this maker's mark in any of my references.
The spoon is the earliest version of the 19th century fiddleback. No shoulders above the bowl, still has a drop at the back of the bowl and just the narrowest flare to the fiddle handle. It would date c. 1800 to 1815 and probably to the earlier end as the maker's mark format is in keeping with eighteenth century marks.
Hope this helps and perhaps someone else can identify the maker.

Tom

ps. there is a bullit or raised period(.) between the I and P. Is there one between the P and M?
Last edited by admin on Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
roblaux

Post by roblaux »

Thanks for your help Tom! There is a very light mark between the P and M, but it t hard to tell if it is a period or a flaw. It is lower than the first bullet and under the right edge of the letter P, not between the letters. The spoon is also a smaller size than most at about 5 1/2" long and 1" across the bowl.

Rob
dmay

Post by dmay »

I have not seen this hallmark before, but the initials and the age/style of the spoon would be consistent with Josiah Penfield Marquand, who worked in NYC c. 1820 and died in 1833.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”