Unmarked fish slice?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rynegold

Unmarked fish slice?

Post by rynegold »

Aquired today: a (tested) sterling silver unmarked fish slice marked "Wood & Hughs". No sterling, coin, nothing else! Hand engraved with both the blade decorations as well as a four letter initial engraving on the handle. so how often do you find unmarked silver pieces?? I tested this silver and filed along a curve on the blade so's not to foul up a good piece. I buy a ton of silver every day but I've not seen a quality piece like this go umarked. So what's with this slice??

regards, m

silverly

Re: Unmarked fish slice?

Post by silverly »

I'd say you have a coin silver piece with a not at all uncommon simple mark. That is an earmark of American silver before sterling. I couldn't tell what percentage of American silver has no quality marking, but I can assure it is high. If there is any further doubt send it my way, ha! ha! Nice piece, congratulations!
doc

Re: Unmarked fish slice?

Post by doc »

You have a very nice American coin fish slice by Wood & Hughes, a well known New York City maker and retailer from the 1840's to the late 1890's. This fish slice would have been part of a set that included a fork, and it is possible that the fork was marked; I had a similar fish set by Wood & Hughes where only one piece was market (I have since sold it and cannot remember which piece was marked).

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”