H&B Tablespoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverSurfer
contributor

H&B Tablespoon

Post by SilverSurfer »

The below pics are of a 23.4 cm, 57 gram Old English Pattern tablespoon, maker's mark of H&B and curved "V" shaped incised drop:

Does anyone recognize this maker's mark? Perhaps Hart & Brewer (ampersand doesn't match mark in Ensko IV), or is it perhaps an earlier mark of Hall & Bliss? TIA for any enlightenment!

SS
SilverSurfer
contributor

Bump!

Post by SilverSurfer »

I thought I might bump this one back up to the top, noting that in another thread this strange form of ampersand was has been attributed to Scottish makers (but the spoon in question in that discussion turned out to be Indian colonial). Still, in this case, it seems to me that the incised sharp drop is more indicative of Northern Europe and America, and the engraving on the finial has a very c.1790 American feel to it. Might anyone have any insight on this spoon? TIA!

SS
SilverSurfer
contributor

Re: H&B Tablespoon

Post by SilverSurfer »

Just surfing by and thought I may as well bump this one to the top once more. Any takers? Or another two to three year nap? Thanks in advance for any ideas!
SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

Okay, boys and girls, this one promises to keep turning up until someone finally identifies the authors! Let's not go another seven years! Don't let old H&B, whoever they were, disappear into eternal obscurity! ;o)
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Good day SS,

I admire your persistence. Would it be possible to get a larger image of the makers mark so that it can be examined thoroughly?

Looking at the image available at the online resource American Silversmiths, their example does appear to be very similar. Click on that particular mark to expand the image then see what you think. Do realize that the partnership between Judah Hart and Charles Brewer lasted only a year, would seem to limit the number of examples in existence.

I pray this helps
Warren
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

Correct: Hart & Brewer
SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

Thanks, Warren and wev, for your responses, which spurred me on to further research that turned up a new (well, heretofore unfamiliar to me) web site that confirms Hart & Brewer:

http://sterlingflatwarefashions.com/IconInit/InitH.html

Were there two stamps used by the gentlemen during their brief (1802-1803) alliance, or is the ampersand misrepresented in Ensko IV? I'm guessing the latter.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”