Coin Silver Spoon Makers Marks-Giles, Arm and Hammer???

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
kelmel

Coin Silver Spoon Makers Marks-Giles, Arm and Hammer???

Post by kelmel »

Hello,
I recently purchased a bag of spoons. They all had similar shapes, but the markings on the backs were different. Four read, "Pure Coin" and had an arm and fist holding a hammer inside a shield. Others read, "Giles Bros & Co." while others read this as well but were accompanied by hallmarks. The spoons with hallmarks also had an overstamp with the initials, "ESH".
I am hoping some of you learned people out there can help me out.
Thanks a million!
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/30909295759.jpg&s=x11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/30909311393.jpg&s=x11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

None of these are hallmarked, which has a very specific meaning. They do carry maker's marks typically used by New York State wholesale manufacturers. Giles Bros & Co, a prominent mid-nineteenth century Chicago jewelery firm, was the retailer.
kelmel

Post by kelmel »

Thank you very much for the information!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

McGrew identifies that particular variation of the Arm & Hammer mark as an unidentified Chicago maker c.1850-70.
kelmel

Post by kelmel »

Hi Again Wev,

Just a question if you do not mind. I thought that the symbols on the Giles Bros spoon-a face in profile, the letters SMJ and the rearing lion-were hallmarks?
Thank you.
Mitch
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

The term "Hallmark" refer to the Guild halls in England only, the marks on american silver are generally refered to as Markers Marks when the name or initials are used and pseudo-hallmarks or devices when not...
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Coin Silver Spoon Makers Marks-Giles, Arm and Hammer???

Post by dognose »

Giles, Brother & Co. - Chicago - 1867

Trev.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”