12 American Colonial Silver Buttons

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dognose
Site Admin

Re: 12 American Colonial Silver Buttons

Postby dognose » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:20 pm

Hi Steve,

Good to hear that you are feeling better, it sounds like you had a rough time of it.

Thanks for updating the topic and explaining the situation. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Trev.

steve7408

Postby steve7408 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:20 pm

Hi Trev,

Thanks for that reply, I am feeling much better.

Thought I would clarify the test carried out to the buttons, it was an ICP-OES which Chris the Lab man said looks at all the elements within the sample, it is the impurities that are vitally important.

Link to Assay site- https://www.assayofficelondon.co.uk/oth ... y-services

It is a much more accurate way than XRF, even though XRF is a good test the surface can become enriched over time giving a false reading.
A tiny 20mg sample is gently scraped from each item and analysed, had to do this to be thorough and get a clear concise answer to what they are. Very old silver pieces made into buttons, post again soon.

Aguest
contributor

Postby Aguest » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:01 pm

Thank you for all your hard work in this thread, it is truly appreciated ::: If you get a chance, could you take a few close-up pics of the hallmarks? It might help to have some really sharp pics just in case someone in the future happens to stumble upon this hallmark :: I would love to know more about the silversmith who made these and the country of origin ::::: I love to think that these were made on a pirate ship from re-cycled Spanish Silver coins, however improbable that may be, they have such a great mystery about them :

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”