Indian Silver? 4 Piece Tea Set with decorations

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Markaty

Indian Silver? 4 Piece Tea Set with decorations

Post by Markaty »

I'm after any information I can find about this Tea Set.

I'm thinking it's Indian, possibly Burmese?

Not sure when it is dated either. I encourage all speculations :)

All solid silver with 'Sterling Silver' stamped on the bottom of each piece.

Traintime
contributor

Re: Indian Silver? 4 Piece Tea Set with decorations

Post by Traintime »

No photo of the mark posted, so just for a start compare it to the one here and follow Trev's link to another item while you wait for opinions: viewtopic.php?f=2&p=171943#p171943
Markaty

Post by Markaty »

Traintime wrote:No photo of the mark posted, so just for a start compare it to the one here and follow Trev's link to another item while you wait for opinions: viewtopic.php?f=2&p=171943#p171943
Thanks Traintime,

On your recommendation I've uploaded an image of the hallmark, if it's unclear I'll have another go tomorrow under a better light.

It's a neat mark, all 4 pieces have it. They are also personalised but I dont think the inscription was done by the maker, just says 'From Dalu to Lena' in a crude scratch, you can see the beginning of it at the top of the picture

Regards,

MGArgent
contributor

Post by MGArgent »

I came across this old post while researching a similar tea/coffee service that is decorated with nearly identical village scenes and is also marked "Sterling Silver".

There are examples of tea services with similar styling and village scenes that are attributed to Calcutta (Kolkuta) India from the first half of the 20th century (generally c1920s-c1940s). I also came across one or two examples that were purported to be from late 19th century (c1890s) India.

Only a year late, but hope this helps!
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Link to the photo posting mentioned above: viewtopic.php?f=13&p=183221&sid=be40537 ... ee#p183221

Return to “Asia & Middle East - Single Image”