Please Identify This Hallmark!

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Penelope_Weaver

Please Identify This Hallmark!

Post by Penelope_Weaver »

Hello.
This mark is from a silver dragon menu holder.
Can anyone identify the maker?
What does the "90 WA" mean?
Approximately what is the age of the piece?
Thank you very much in advance!

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
davidross
contributor

Re: Please Identify This Hallmark!

Post by davidross »

The forum's posting requirements explicitly forbid the use of images from online auctions, especially one that is ongoing.

Please read the posting requirements:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=10#p12

Regards
DR
Penelope_Weaver

So sorry, David.
I misunderstood the rules. I thought I couldn't "link" (i.e. use the URL button) to an auction.
(For the record, this is only my second post.)
Also, since I'm not a commercial person, and I'm not trying to sell anything, it never occurred to me that I might be doing something wrong!
BTW I am only really interested in learning what the 90 WA means. I googled it and didn't have any luck.
My apologies again.
Penelope
FTJJ

Post by FTJJ »

“WA” is a retailer mark. According to “Chinese Export Silver - The Chan Collection” , it was located in Canton back in the second and third quarter 19th century.

“90” was an attempt to indicate 90% silver content.

The ideogram mark on the left is the maker’s mark although the characters seem illegible.

Canton is an old English name for Guangzhou in China.
Penelope_Weaver

Dear FTJJ,
Thank you ever so much for sharing your wisdom. I continue to be amazed by how helpful and knowledgeable people I "meet" on the internet can be!
I tried to buy a copy of the book you cited, “Chinese Export Silver - The Chan Collection.” But unfortunately it is out of print and I cannot find any used copies either.
Would you mind checking to see if it actually names the retailer, "WA" in Guangzhou?
I have three little nieces who are half Chinese–and I believe their family has some ties to Guangzhou. (Unfortunately they know very little about their Chinese heritage because of the turmoil that happened there...)
Knowing the name of the retailer, and perhaps a bit of its history, would be very precious information indeed!
My sincerest thanks,
Penelope
FTJJ

Post by FTJJ »

Hi Penelope,

I don’t have further information on “WA” at hand except it is indicated as a rare mark.

Used copies of “The Chan Collection” appear on eBay from time to time. “The Chait Collection of Chinese Export Silver” as well as “Chinese Export Silver 1785-1885 - Forbes, Kernan, Wilkins” are also useful references if you come across them.

Good luck!

FTJJ
Penelope_Weaver

Dear FTJJ,
Thanks for the help. I will put “The Chan Collection” into eBay as a "saved search!" Do you happen to know whether “The Chait Collection of Chinese Export Silver” and “Chinese Export Silver 1785-1885 - Forbes, Kernan, Wilkins” mention the retailer WA? (I would hate to buy a book I don't need...)
Penelope
FTJJ

Post by FTJJ »

Hi Penelope,

On Forbes “WA” is described as “after 1840”

On Chait , “whose work is rarely met with” & dating “Late China Trade Period” (1840-1885)

As far as I know, very little information has been released on this retailer.

Hope this helps!

FTJJ

Return to “Asia & Middle East - Single Image”