Help Identifying deities motif on Belt

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
rob h

Help Identifying deities motif on Belt

Post by rob h »

This belt buckle is sterling silver. Please help identify the gods pictured so i have a clue to the country of origin. There are no marks. They may be hindu gods and goddesses

Thanks
Rob H
Atlantia

Post by Atlantia »

Hi Rob,
The deities are Hindu.

The 'Merman' is:
Hindu God Matsya, Vishnu Avatar - The Fish

Before the latest creation of the present universe, the four Vedas (the holy books delivered from the mouth of the Supreme-God) remained drowned in the waters. It was necessary to get hold of them to instruct Brahma about the work of creation. Vishnu was therefore appointed to bring up the Vedas from the deep. He took the form of a fish, descended into the waters and brought up these sacred books. Through this avatar, he saved humanity and the sacred Veda text from the flood.

Atlantia

Post by Atlantia »

The one on the right is also Vishnu:

Kurma, the turtle — The second avatar, Kurma, was taken in the Satyuga (last age) to help the Devas and to obtain the amrut (nectar) of immortality which was also sought after by the Asuras (demons). Lord Vishnu assumed the form of a tortoise and took the newly created earth on his back in order to render stability to the trembling globe. It is believed that even to this day the earth is supported on the back of this tortoise.
Atlantia

Post by Atlantia »

As is (I believe) the central figure, which I believe is Vishnu churning the oceans and causing an eclipse (The sun emerging from behind him)

Altogether a rather nice piece!

Return to “Asia & Middle East - Single Image”