Hi

Anyone know this hallmark?
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Anyone know this hallmark?

Post by dognose »

Hi Maki,

Welcome to the Forum.

Is this piece made from mixed metals? That is, gold and silver.

Trev.
Maki

Post by Maki »

Hi Trev

Thank you for information.
Seller said it's solid 18K gold and has been tested.What seller said is wrong?
I don't know all 3 marks.So I don't know when and where it was made.
If you know,please tell me.

Thank you again
Maki
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Maki,

Can you post a clearer, sharper image of all of the marks, but especially the mark on the right.

Trev.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Maki,

Portuguese dog head for the Assay Office of Porto mark used 1938-1984; hallmark to identify gold and silver mixed metal items. Fineness; the gold must be a minimum of 800/1000 (19.2K) and the silver a minimum of 833/1000.
The mark in the middle, I believe to be the makers’ mark/retailers'mark and unknown to me.
The mark on the right could be the old man’s head mark with laurel wreath for the Assay Office Porto used 1985-1998; gold items and silverware that were considered to be of either antique (archeological) or artistic value because of the craftsmanship, even if prior marks were present were re-marked. Items that had old hallmarks with a minimum fineness of 333 gold or minimum fineness 750 silver were stamped with the old man’s head. But an other possibility could be the; Closed Assay Office Re-Mark with the core image of a left facing man’s head, to indicate that the items guaranteed fineness has been re-validated. It could be the Assay Office Re-mark for Porto 1985 to Date.
Clearer, sharper image of all of the marks might give better answers.
(Ref; Hallmark Research Institute World Hallmarks Volume 1 Europe 19th to 21st Centuries)

Oel.
Maki

Post by Maki »

Hi oel and Trev

Thank you for very helpful information!!!
Antique ring had the hallmark.
But I don't have the ring,yet because I am still considering if I should buy.I wanted to know if the ring is really antique.
Seller said the ring is c1900,possibly later.But the ring looked like mixture of antique and modern,so I am wondering.

I am sorry but I can't get clear image of hallmark now because I don't buy,yet.
I attached more photos because maybe you can get some ideas from design and construction.
If you give me advice,I am so happy.
Maki

Post by Maki »

Hi again
I asked seller to show clear photos of hallmark now.When I get the photos,I will post again here
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Maki,

Thank you for posting the extra images. We now see the reason for the mixed metals hallmarking, the ring contains silver embellishments connected to the mounts.

Trev.
Maki

Post by Maki »

Hi there

Seller didn't provide photos and someone bought the ring:-( I am sorry that I couldn't get clear photos of hallmark because I wanted to know information.But Thank you for helping me.

Thanks again
Maki
dnl
contributor

Post by dnl »

Sorry to pipe in so late...
To add to what oel has written, the center image is indeed a maker's mark. It was registered to a Guimarães João de Oliveira in 1951.
(Marcas de Contrastes, pg380)
The last mark on the right is actually the rooster's head facing right. Often, precious metal components were tested and hallmarked prior to being fully assembled into its final form. This rooster mark was stamped on precious metal components that were destined to be a jewelry item, used from 1938-1984.
(World Hallmarks pg 224)

That should complete the story of all the hallmarks on your ring!
Maki

Post by Maki »

Hi dul

Thank you for the information!!! It is very helpful!!

Maki
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Possibly a late comment but helpful, hopefully.
Amethysts and possibly rose-cut diamonds.
Not well made at all. Bezel settings for amethysts are closed for no reason at all.Not even polished well. Prong settings (claw settings) are poorly executed and the ends of the prongs are not bent enough to hold amethysts snugly in place. They are close to fall off the settings (red arrows). Not even sure how they hold in place — probably even glued later.

Return to “Gold - Single Image”