925 SU mark

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
SHERRY

925 SU mark

Post by SHERRY »

I have seen a 925 SU mark on several pieces of jewelry-all from different countries (Italy, Mexico, Thailand...). I have some earrings with this mark, but they are so light weight that I doubt they're sterling. Could the SU be indicative of some type of silverplate?
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

If it's the SU in a circle mark, believe it's a distributer or importer.
Have not been able to identify who that was.

Don't think it indicates silverplate because I've seen this mark on sterling silver pieces made in Taxco Mexico.

Pat.
SHERRY

Post by SHERRY »

Thanks, Pat and yes the SU is inside a circle. I'll bet you're right about it being an importer or distributor mark since I've seen it on jewelry from several different countries. I appreciate you taking the time! ~Sherry
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Think it might have been the mark for "Silver Unlimited", a now defunct sort of home shopping network jewelry supplier that was internet based.

Regards, Tom
SHERRY

Post by SHERRY »

Thanks, Tom. Hmmm...In my searching I ran across quite a few eBay auctions that listed jewely w/ this same mark as vintage, but of course they may have been incorrect in their assessment. Because of this I thought the mark might be from a company that had been around for awhile. I don't believe my earrings are vintage though, and did not list them as such. Appreciate your response! ~Sherry
Goldensilver

Re: 925 SU mark

Post by Goldensilver »

Although I have seen some pieces from other countries stamped with SU, an "SU" stamped on a sterling silver piece of jewelry usually means it is from Italy. "SU" can be by itself, within a circle or with 925. (for 925 parts 1000 silver, ie sterling)
pinki

Re:

Post by pinki »

SHERRY wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:03 pm Thanks, Pat and yes the SU is inside a circle. I'll bet you're right about it being an importer or distributor mark since I've seen it on jewelry from several different countries. I appreciate you taking the time! ~Sherry
Hi Sherry, I have purchased a ton of sterling pieces some that are vintage, & some that are not. I have seen a variety of the marks as well Ie: with a circle around the SU alongside 925/S925/925S, or without the circle. I have been in the precious metal & gemstone industry and have amassed over 25 yrs experience. I believe what you most likely have is a piece purchased off of a website/infomercial or the actual channel QVC. SU is considered a precious sterling silver metal. It is generated by SU & in fact comes from Italy. So they do have notariaty & do manufacturer pieces today. Meaning that bc you feel you're piece isn't vintage (probably bc it's not) but there are a ton of pieces out there produced by the same company that are.

Return to “Silver Jewelry - Single Image”