General Query: Avery/James Avery

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Capt. Zero

General Query: Avery/James Avery

Post by Capt. Zero »

Have been lurking here for a while and been finding an enormous amount of valuable information. Thanks to the administrators and the many posters at this site.
I have only recently been bitten by the AU bug and am curious concerning Avery marks. While I am familiar enough with the standard mark of the "J A" at the base of a candleabra with "ster" printed above, I continue to find pieces with just "Avery" followed by the copyright symbol and "ster". Are these also James Avery pieces? After many searches I can find no mention of any other Avery silversmiths. Thanks in advance for any information anyone can give me.
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello.
Don't know if they used the other mark you describe.

You might try contacting them. Here's their website:
http://secure.jamesavery.com/info/contact.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pat.
Capt. Zero

Post by Capt. Zero »

Thanks Pat. I appreciate the reply. I was hoping someone would offhand know, but I'll contact them during business hrs. Mon. and see if they can shed a little light on the subject. Once again I appreciate your response and willingness to share info with others.

John
Capt. Zero

Post by Capt. Zero »

Just thought I would add this for anyone who might be interested. Called James Avery jewelers today and was told by a very helpful woman that both marks are authentic and that they will be using the mark of "Avery 'copyright' ster" more often in the future as it is done with a laser and easier/cheaper to do. At this time there is no firm plan to retire the candleabra mark, but it will be seen less in the future, particularly on pieces that are smaller or that are difficult to stamp. Hope this information is useful.

John
Just Judy

Re: General Query: Avery/James Avery

Post by Just Judy »

I received a large open deer - stag pin as a gift in 1974 +/-. It is stamped "C Avery Ster". I too have had a hard time finding it online. Today I found an identical pin for sale and it too had the same hallmark. At first I thought it could have been a counterfeit James Avery, since all my others have the candelabra mark's and I couldn't find it. At the time J A jewelry was the all the rage and my friend was very particular and generous. I am sure he purchased it at a James Avery store in San Antonio or their store in Kerrville, Texas. Unfortunately I didn't save the boxes etc., who knew? I know this is an old post, I'm really excited and just had to share.

Return to “Silver Jewelry - Single Image”