MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
bonsai

Russian Maker 1

Post by bonsai »

Can you help identify this maker please for an egg locket
bonsai

Re: Russian Maker 1

Post by bonsai »

Not sure why this was moved from the Russian forum?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
You thought a single image was enough for positive identification.
The image of the whole item is always helpful.
In regard of the mark, it is faked mark of famous Finnish master Anders Johan Nevalainen who was Faberge subcontractor.
Regards
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

All I have is a single image of the mark.
Can you please tell me how to determine that its fake
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

It is like finding a Picasso or a Rembrant painting in garage sale or a letter signed by Emperor Napoleon on the eve of Austerlitz in thrift shop.Theoretically possible,but we have not heard of that lataly,haven`t we ?
The same goes for Faberge and subcontractors; the rule of thumb - everything is a fake unless proven otherwise based on very solid provenance and close examination of the object (superb quality).
Regards
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

Let me clarify please. I didnt know anything about this maker prior to the post. So its possible the item is a fake but I did not purchase thinking its a "real faberge egg". I am only seeking to know more. I looked up his maker marks and they look nothing like this mark; they are done in quite different font. So what makes you think the intention was to fake his name as opposed to a newer maybe slightly more modern maker with the same initials, which also happens time to time. I'm only seeking more info pls.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Without the image of the whole egg, positive identification of the maker would be unprofessional.
Regards
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

Here is an image of the egg.
Ive searched quite a bit to find one like it (perhaps if they were mass produced as fakes or something) and I have not.
It does seem to be vintage/ antique and quite different from the modern ones.
It opens

What I do not have is a pic of the hallmark next to the maker initials.

bonsai

Post by bonsai »

*let me further clarify. Its not really any question that they arent real "faberge". What I was wondering is if its an unknown maker, or intended to rip off a well known makers name. Its gilt silver. They came from a lot of a variety of eggs from a similar time period but all different maker stamps.

I've scoured sites adn I've found so far 1 other egg with this logo its a chick sitting in the bottom half of an egg (doesnt open).
Same logo, same font. But these fonts are different than the person you mention.

bonsai

Post by bonsai »

I decided to continue to scour the net and found yet another egg (with birds on it) with the A.N written teh same way. This one probably has the clearest picture of the other Russian marks.

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

I am not aware of another A.N silversmith who worked in StPeterburg at the time.
Shown objects are definitively not of Nevalainen quality.
Regards
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

Are you thinking the Russian hallmarks are fake also?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Kokoshnik mark looks OK, but this is definitively not Nevalainen quality.
One can only speculate: either genuine eggs with lucrative A.N mark added to increase the value, or totally modern fakes.
In a word, difficult to tell for sure,but Nevalainen can be positively excluded as the maker.
Regards
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

I fully share AG2012 opinion. Antti Nevalainen has nothing to do with this egg (the quality is "poor"). Nevalainen mostly made frames and cigarette cases. In addition the Finn Nevalainen exclusively worked for Fabergé. There is no Fabergé mark on your egg! Please do not believe that you would find "treasures" in garage sales or back yards! (Wishful thinking) Your egg has faked marks. Not uncommon in these days! In addition, as already mentioned: The quality is not good enough for Nevalainen!
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Some more,

These eggs can currently be bought all over St.Peterburg. The are all "copies" to put it nicely. I recently went there and have seen it with my own eyes! Sorry, but that is the case!
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

Qrt.S wrote:I fully share AG2012 opinion. Antti Nevalainen has nothing to do with this egg (the quality is "poor"). Nevalainen mostly made frames and cigarette cases. In addition the Finn Nevalainen exclusively worked for Fabergé. There is no Fabergé mark on your egg! Please do not believe that you would find "treasures" in garage sales or back yards! (Wishful thinking) Your egg has faked marks. Not uncommon in these days! In addition, as already mentioned: The quality is not good enough for Nevalainen!
thank you for the info. And just for clarification I did not buy it thinking it was Faberge, in fact I knew it was not. Just seeking general info on the maker is all. Thank you all for clarifying

Return to “Silver Jewelry - Single Image”