Help dating Aaron Hadfield silver plate mark

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
dancula

Help dating Aaron Hadfield silver plate mark

Post by dancula »

The handles of these fish servers are sterling, hallmarked Aaron Hadfield Sheffield, but no date mark (I'm guessing mid Victorian). The blade is electroplate with distinctive symbols. Can the latter be dated?
Thanks
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Help dating Aaron Hadfield silver plate mark

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Only the earliest likely date by the British Registry Design mark:

https://www.925-1000.com/registry.html

It must be remembered though, that some designs were used for many years after their registration.

Trev.
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello, that "could not have been made before date" may still be useful to closer date your servers. Sheffield's Aaron Hadfield did have more than 1 registered mark, varying with pellets and cartouche shape. The "silvermakersmarks.co.uk" website shows 4/5 marks for the concern, some that have only been seen used in short time periods. That same web site suggests the concern did not produce work after1865 and that "Martin Brothers & Naylor" also had a "AH" mark used around 1850.

Fishless
dancula

Post by dancula »

Thank you Trev! That was most helpful and a new revelation to me!

Regards,
Dan
dognose wrote:Hi,

Only the earliest likely date by the British Registry Design mark:

https://www.925-1000.com/registry.html

It must be remembered though, that some designs were used for many years after their registration.

Trev.
dancula

Post by dancula »

Much appreciated Fishless!
I found the exact British Registry Design mark as mine (1847) on another silver piece from Hadfield dating to 1849, so it was used for at least 2 years..
Essexboy Fisher wrote:Hello, that "could not have been made before date" may still be useful to closer date your servers. Sheffield's Aaron Hadfield did have more than 1 registered mark, varying with pellets and cartouche shape. The "silvermakersmarks.co.uk" website shows 4/5 marks for the concern, some that have only been seen used in short time periods. That same web site suggests the concern did not produce work after1865 and that "Martin Brothers & Naylor" also had a "AH" mark used around 1850.

Fishless
dancula

Post by dancula »

Here is is again (recorded as 1847) on a sterling fish server dating to 1849, by the same maker Aaron Hadfield.

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”