musilver

silver or not help !

Post by musilver »

Image[/url]
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: silver or not help !

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello "musilver", I guess you must have worked out this fork is silverplated as its image has turned up in the silver plate section. I hope you have not lost interest in it now though as I think there is information to be gained here for a lot of us. The manufacturer's mark is likely to be the "J.B & Co" in the shield, but the pictorial mark in the long thin oval cartouche is what we need to track down to confirm who this "J.B & Co" firm of cutlery manufacturers might be. I do not know where you are based or where your forks turned up from. I know you had a Dutch silver fork but where was this electroplated fork from? Could this also a Dutch item? It does not scream " British" to me even though there is a small crown mark among the finial markings and there were a few "J.B & Co" companies in the UK who could be candidates. Was it made by a Canadian firm or an item made by an American company?

What do you believe is represented in the the long thin oval mark? I first thought an arrow but I do not think that is correct. Could it be a harpoon? What does anybody else think?
Speculating a bit, I would wonder if this fork could be made by "Jennings Brothers" of Bridgeport Conn. and pardon this possible "red herring", Bridgeport was a whaling centre. Jennings Brothers are said to have made flatware and started business in the late 19th century. There are other posts on the Forum noting Jennings Brothers but no images like the one on your fork. I hope my reply will stimulate other suggestions to give a name for your fork's maker so others can have clues in the future.

Fishless
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Somewhat doubtful that it could be an American mark, but, R/F 4th indicates one John Burgess (with no known mark) plating in Baltimore in 1864, related to Caleb H. Burgess (no mark) with both together from 1865-1883, then Caleb alone 1884-89. Here's an 1880's electrical source directory listing American platers with an address for C. H. Burgess, but the PDF failed so the link goes to plain text (a jumble to read): https://books.google.com/books?pg=RA2-P ... utput=text
musilver

Post by musilver »

Thanks a lot for all your replies ! I guess it is a feather mark. Thanks for this forum, and I am really enjoying this new collection hobby now.

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”