Sarl & son marks

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
PaulDee

Sarl & son marks

Post by PaulDee »

Hello my name is Paul..a newbie silver/plate collector. i have recently acquired a couple of large serving spoons, actually one is a ladle, made by Sarl & Son as seen in the marks. See photos. https://imgur.com/a/gdI2DMF However i am at a lost to decode the rest of the marks. I'm particularly interested if they have a date and place mark. Also the front handle has a rather stylized horn and bow motif which is curious. Any help would be much appreciated.
thanks
Paul
AG2012
contributor

Re: Sarl & son marks

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Sarl & Sons was discussed here:
viewtopic.php?t=52764

Regards
PaulDee

Post by PaulDee »

Thanks AG2012...i did see that post but nothing relevant for me unfortunately however thanks again
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Always embed your images.

The engraved motif will be the family crest of a former owner of the piece.

Trev.
PaulDee

Post by PaulDee »

Hi and thank you and thank you also for your response...however i don't understand embed your image. I'm learning as i go.
and yes i thought the motif would be a family thing

Paul
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello, manufacturers marks on electroplated cutlery can have meanings but may only be "decorative" to appear like marks on solid hallmarked silver. Sarl and Sons would have been the retailer of the item and no doubt could have asked for any lettering they wanted. The Sarl "ads" say they used Argentina Silver for their silver plate alloy and but if they were commissioning the items the could have decided to call it "Sarls Silver" with the abbreviation "SS". On some retailed items there is a chance that marks could have an association with the manufacturer of the item. The 3 leaf pictorial mark could be one of those.

About embedding, for us to see your images you need to use a photo hosting site and allow use to view them. Also when posting use the Preview feature. If you can then see your actual images we will be able to see them.

https://postimages.org (choose 'Share', then copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended.
I do not use this one so there are others.

Fishless
PaulDee

Post by PaulDee »

Hi and thank you for that wealth of info...i can see i have quite a lot to learn however i am enjoying the process
cheers and thanks again
Paul

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”