"Kincraft". Where, When, Who?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

"Kincraft". Where, When, Who?

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

I had need to check up on some tobacciana collectables last weekend and there was one name that recurred and recurred. That was "Kincraft", "Made in England". This was a cigarette and match box case set.

I have an inquiring mind so thought I would have a look on line and see where it was made. Sheffield could be a possibility I thought. The newspaper "Liquidation" notification I found suggests otherwise.

THE LONDON GAZETTE, 22ND SEPTEMBER 1982
Name of Company: KINCRAFT LIMITED. Nature of Business: METAL PRESSERS.
Address of Registered Office: 16-18 Barnfield Road, Tipton, West Midlands.

Liquidator's Name and Address: John Joseph Ashworth,
369 Corn Exchange Buildings, Hanging Ditch, Manchester M43HE.
Date of Appointment: 14th September 1982. By whom Appointed: Creditors. (288)

So a "Kincraft Limited", "Metal Pressers" were based Birmingham, UK in 1982. If it is the correct Kincraft it looks like the place of production of some of these silverplated cigarette cases was Birmingham as "Tipton" is about 10 miles from Central Birmingham in the West Midlands industrial area. I found an image of a football themed cigarette case that seems to date some production to 1950. There are also on-line "cases" in art deco style and ones with engine turned finishes so production may well have been going in the 1920''s /1930's. I had thought though, could "Kincraft" have had a silver mark registered with an English Guild? I did not find a mark but "www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk" does have a Birmingham makers mark "K.Ltd", "probably Kirwan & Co Ltd" with a found on reference of a "cigarette case".
This is obviously all my theory so Forum members please do bring forward more information. Who does this trademark with the big "K" belong to?

Fishless
dognose
Site Admin

Re: "Kincraft". Where, When, Who?

Post by dognose »

Hi Fishless,

It's a little complicated........

In 1956, Kincraft cigarette cases were manufactured by W.E. & P. Ltd., Gem Buildings, 20-21, Hockley Hill, Birmingham, however, a listing for the same year shows Kincraft combination lighter cases and mechanical pocket lighters made by Leek & Pearce Ltd. at the same Hockley Hill address.

A listing for 1959 contains exactly the same information.

Things change by 1964, Kincraft cigarette cases are now manufactured by Kincraft Ltd., Barnfield Road, Tipton, Staffs., and Kincraft combination lighter cases by Leek & Pearce Ltd. at the same Tipton address.

At least we know the the Kincraft Ltd. that you have found, was the maker of cigarette cases.

Trev.
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: "Kincraft". Where, When, Who?

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Thanks Trev for the added information and "clarification". Even prior to the added details, the "Kin" bit of the name suggested to me It could be a "relatives" concern and you have given us "& P.Ltd" and "& Pearce Ltd" with your research. It was not all that many years ago really so maybe there could be people around who knew the "firms".

Fishless

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”