Help with dating my silver and cutglass epergne

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Graciechristine

Help with dating my silver and cutglass epergne

Post by Graciechristine »

I have a silver and cut glass epergne with the hallmark H.W & Co and the numbers 4808 underneath this. It was my great grandmother's and I am trying to locate the maker and place it was made. The silver-plate has revival Egyptian decoration with 3 sphinxes in a 'triangular form as the base. It had a cut glass fruit bowl and a fluted vase for flowers originally. Thank you.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
oel
co-admin

Re: Help with dating my silver and cutglass epergne

Post by oel »

Hi, welcome to the forum. Images are required for information how to attach and embedded images see:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42199

Peter.
Graciechristine

Post by Graciechristine »

Hello it is me again - a new user who is slowly navigating my way... I am inserting a photo of the Hallmark etc as required
Image.

I am really keen to know anything about the maker, the Hallmark, the firm Horace Woodward & Co - is it still in operation? Any contact details for them? When my plate silver and cut glass epergne might have been made. When in might have been imported into Australia?
Thank you
Last edited by oel on Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image not showing. Edit image.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
A figural trade mark (the shape of Atlas into a lozenge) registered in 1876. This trade mark was often used in its electroplate production.
Horace Woodward & Co until 1893.
Horace Woodward & Co Ltd 1893 - 1919 when acquired by Adie Brothers Ltd.

Meaning, your epergne (Atlas mark and initials without Ltd) was made between 1876 and 1893.
That`s my logical conclusion.
Regards

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”