Can anyone help?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Felix1004

Can anyone help?

Post by Felix1004 »

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help me? I have recently been given an old fish serving knife and fork. On both the collar marks indicate (I think) Sheffield 1897 - GHB - George Henry Biggin / Alfred Biggin and Sons, Sheffield?

It is the knife blade that has me stumped. You will see on the photos that it is marked EP for the electroplating, but also the word RETALS.

I just cannot work out what, why or who RETALS is or was! The only thing I can guess is that it might be SLATER spelt backwards, but that’s all I’ve got!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks

Steve

AG2012
contributor

Re: Can anyone help?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The collar of the knife is sterling silver made by George Henry Biggin (GHB) in Sheffield.
Date letter is e for 1897.
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Must be Joseph Slater,Broomhill Terrace,an electro-plater, employing a dozen men and three boys. He manufactured electro-plated spoons, forks, desserts, and fish knives. In 1871, Joseph Henry Slater was apparently manager. He told the Census (1871) that he employed seven men, six boys, and ten women.
Felix1004

Post by Felix1004 »

That’s useful to know about Joseph Slater. I wonder though why it is incorrectly spelt. Has anyone come across this before?

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”