Picture to identify this 1811 silver spoon

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
poos

Picture to identify this 1811 silver spoon

Post by poos »

Dear All,

Can I know the details of this 1811 Silver spoon?

Is it possible to get another silver spoon? What those symbols says?

Link for the picture is here with

https://www.flickr.com/photos/190084468 ... res/v52c57

Thanks in advance

TS
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Picture to identify this 1811 silver spoon

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please embed your images.

Trev.
poos

Post by poos »

dognose wrote:Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please embed your images.

Trev.

Thank you. Picture ican find in the following link.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/190084468 ... res/v52c57
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello, TS, it is always better to "embed the image" as more people will see it. Not everybody is happy to look to another site to see an image. I have had a look though and I hope you have realised that your spoon is just silver plated and not readily datable as so much of European solid silver is. The marks on you spoon are known as "false hallmarks" or pseudo hallmarks. They are marks possibly used in the 19th century to confuse people. A little like "counterfeit" trademarked clothing that some dishonest people try to sell you in this day and age.
Here is a example of pseudo hallmarks similar to your spoon's marks.

There is an extra clue that your spoon is electroplated. That is the "AP" mark. There are alloys of metals (with no silver) that were used to make cutlery. One of these was called "Albata Plate" or "Albata Silver". Thus we have "AP" to confirm not made in solid silver.
There are markings you need to know to help identify if an item is made, or not made, in solid silver. Three common ones for not solid silver are "EP" for electroplated, "BP" for Britannia Plate and "GS" for German Silver". There are others to learn.
I will add some evidence for "Albata Plate" and below that is part of an advert.

A Dictionary of Occupational Terms Based on the Classification of Occupations used in the Census of Population, 1921.
ORDER VIII.—WORKERS IN PRECIOUS METALS AND ELECTRO PLATE
Sub-order 1.—Workers in Precious Metals and Electro Plate

287.—Silver and White Metal Smiths
albata worker: a silversmith q.v. working in albata, i.e., a white metal.

Hope this has been of use for you "TS" but do please try to follow this sites instructions for uploading photos to make the images immediately visible for everybody. Do please try again so everyone can see your spoon marks and make additional comments.

Fishless

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”