Cool Rat Tail Spoon - Clueless on mark!

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
collectingfool

Cool Rat Tail Spoon - Clueless on mark!

Post by collectingfool »

Hey all. I have this neat looking rat tail spoon. Been trying to identify these marks and I'm clueless. I thought I was getting better at this but apparently constantly looking up English silver gives you a false sense of security. Anyone have a clue or recognize any of these marks?

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Cool Rat Tail Spoon - Clueless on mark!

Post by dognose »

Hi,

We've had the mark a few times before on the forum, always on plated items.

Image Image

I seem to recall we did get a positive answer, but I cannot recall what it was. Hopefully another member will know.

Trev.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

I believe it is John Gilbert & Co out of Birmingham & London
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello Inquisitive Collector, I think most collectors with an interest in silver plate would put your marks in with the "J.Gilberts" of Birmingham marks. The J.G mark being somewhat difficult to sort between John Gilbert and Joseph Gilbert. The "Gilbert" name is associated with a very large number of different pseudo hallmarks though "Gilbert" is marked on a few pieces with the other marks and used to confirm an association with "Gilbert" where the name is not present. I have loaded a photo to show association.

The top set of marks is very like the marks on your spoon but has the mark of a "cross on top of a triangle" mark substituted. The lower set of marks most people would believe is a mark of "J.Gilbert" of Birmingham and our reference section says "John Gilbert". I am not as confident as our reference section or "legrandmogol" as to which "Gilbert". Chronologically speaking a "John" item would be older than a Joseph item.

Fishless
collectingfool

Post by collectingfool »

Thank you all for your time and your responses. Seems whenever I ask a question it's to catch my dumb mistakes like thinking this plated piece is silver or missing/forgetting a mark I should have known or found on my own. I bought this piece in a group of silver pieces and they slipped a plated piece past me. Testing it, I guess I didn't scratch deep enough. Your knowledge and willing to share is very much appreciated.

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”