EPC mark - probably mundane

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
LittleGreyCat

EPC mark - probably mundane

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Just looking at an unremarkable piece of plated silver.

The mark underneath includes EPC so presumably that is what it is.

Very little other information as far as I can see but I would be interested if anyone could identify the maker.

LittleGreyCat

Re: EPC mark - probably mundane

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Hadn't realised the site wouldn't handle PNG.

Can't see how to edit the original post.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Sigh.
Eventually I will get it right.
I think.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

The top oddity mark is probably a maker's mark or a deceptive design that they used on a special line...in this case a copper base metal...which was beyond their common working lines. However poor, it looks complete and could contain a letter like "H" or a letter pair. But, it looks unequal in this orientation. If rotated on the axis, it might appear like a device forming a cross of Lorraine (aka raincross), with the upper crossbar narrower than the lower. For now, all this gets us nothing until that can be matched to a known name.
The four digit number could be a model, pattern, stock, catolog, or internal control designator. It doesn't matter yet. What is important is that being in the thousands, it may suggest a large or long lived firm, or both. At any rate, they had some output and an identity could surface.

Not to distract from the question, but here member 'blackstone'' has left both English and German names for the "equal cross" device which has been long used by platers: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18465&p=58471&hili ... ice#p58471

Now, the cross is often used as a mere pseudo-mark rather than an actual identity (trademarks, etc.) and usually applied only once, alone or in combination with another device. Here it is used twice, like brackets, which raises the question of whether it is simply fill material for a normal set of letters in equal shaped cartouches where the EPC (for Electro Plated Copper) has substituted for a letter set. There could be numerous British firms that might have worked for a case of four cartouches, and probably a few for five. One of the American makers that comes to mind is E.G. Webster & Sons, using EGW&S all in five equal octagonals (boxes with clipped corners). But that is only suggestive and not conclusive in any sense.
At this point we're stuck. It may be necessary to have photos posted of the entire object for someone to get a feel for where and when it was created.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Thanks.
I will post a picture of the whole thing soon.
At least we have established (I think) that there is nothing distinctive enough to confirm a maker or a date.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

More notes: It may be nothing, but Webster was added to the International Silver Company family and combined with Barbour Silver Co. which had previously moved to Meriden. Barbour used a five squares set of letters occassionally, and also had some heraldic device pseudos in squares...one of which was a cross mark, bracketed by star marks. In addition, Holmes & Edwards used a cross mark, and was also added to the family being moved to Meriden in 1931. I would not be surprised to find IS Co. playing mix and match with some marks for specialty lines. It may also be worth noting that the style of numbers here appear to be older rather than simplified. This itself could be purely a deception if the object were styled to appear antique, like those old-dutch lines of wares.

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”