Unknown maker

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
polman

Unknown maker

Post by polman »

Hello,
I can not find the maker (and the date maybe) of this silver plate. No other signs. Does anyone recognize him? Thanks in advance.
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: Unknown maker

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello “polman” I think you are not on a winner here. “EPNS” the commonest indication of electroplated manufacture and those figural marks, a “cross” and a “cog” are not a lot to go on. Even the 2 figural marks are regularly seen on electroplated wares. Joseph Rodgers of Sheffield used a 6 pointed star and a Maltese Cross next to one another but your versions are not those. Dating the item from the marks is not really possible. Plated items made before 1896 were often given a pseudo hallmark featuring a “crown” but that was made illegal about that date. I did read a reference that stated that it was this same date when “EPNS” was expected to be found on items. This gives only weak evidence that your item could be 20th century. What is your item? Is it possible to upload an image of it? There may be forum members who can date it stylistically.
Fishless
polman

Re: Unknown maker

Post by polman »

Essexboy Fisher, thank you for reply. I thought it would be easier with marks :(
The item is 'nurses belt', nothing special, but I would like to know more about things I have.
Below I attach a picture. Maybe it will help, as you say.

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”